Saturday 5 September 2015

Teaching Procedures and the First Week of School

The first week of school is done and I am happy to report my students and I survived! I am excited about starting fresh with a new group of students and can't wait to get to know all their little personalities. As with most elementary classrooms we spent most of this week learning procedures, expectations, and our classroom management plan. I have to admit this is probably my least favourite part of starting a new year. I love the excitement of the first few days and getting to know my new students but the constant reminders and practice of procedures is not why I do what I do. That being said this year I promised myself I would take the time to teach every procedure I could think of before really getting started with curriculum.

This summer I took some time to create a list of procedures for our classroom. I wrote them down and added a little bit of information to remind myself what I want students to be able to do independently of me - at least that's the goal. So far students seem to be getting the morning and end of day routines down pat but we still have a lot of work to do on our transitions and some of our active listening skills, and some of the smaller procedures too.

Heading into the second week of classes I plan to continue emphasizing our classroom expectations to get everything running ship shape but I am also excited to begin our first units and really get into some learning. I can't wait to get the students excited about the content and activities that await us this year. Hopefully everyone else had a successful first week back. Here's to another wonderful school year ahead!

No comments:

Post a Comment